Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Heading for North Carolina: Part 10-- Ohio

September 6th, Labor Day, I left Goldsboro for home. I hadn't been on interstates during a holiday in many years. Near Raleigh-Durham Airport on I-40 I passed about six state troopers who had cars pulled over in one short stretch. That was enough to make me be very aware of my speed the rest of that day.

Took I-40 to Winston-Salem and then US-52 north past the very interesting Pilot Mountain to Mt. Airy, NC, Andy Griffith's hometown and basis for Mayberry, with visions of one of those great Snappy Lunch pork chop sandwiches (and, I was even there before their 1:30 closing time) but they were closed for the holiday (even though there were a lot of people on the streets).

I had to go to Plan B and had a Wilber's bbq dinner in the parking lot of the local McDonald's.


THE REST OF THE WAY

I got on I-77 and took it through the Virginia panhandle, getting gas at Wytheville (always one of the cheapest places to get gas (and definitely before you get to the super expensive West Virginia.

I stopped at the last rest area in West Virginia before you get to Ohio and found a stand giving out free hot dogs and coffee for Labor Day travelers. I've heard of free coffee along the interstates on holidays, but had never been to one. Mighty nice of the volunteers.

I continued into Ohio and to Cambridge where I got off and drove the National Road/US-40 to Zanesville, one of my favorite old road drives anywhere past those two S-Bridges and the Y-Bridge in Zanesville. I checked into the Super 8 on the west end of town. I've stayed there two other times. A good place to stay on this area.

Last Day Coming Up. --RoadDog


NO PUN INTENDED: Condoms should be used in every conceivable occasion.

No comments: