Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

How's Your House?-- Part 1

From July 9th Chicago Tribune "meanwhile, back at the ranch, homes getting smaller" by Mary Ellen Podmolik.

She brought up some interesting trends in new homes.

Researchers have found that the median home-size now is 1,500 square feet as compared to 1,610 in 1973. Lot sizes are down from .36 acre in 1973 to .27 last year.

The house size number surprised me as I thought houses were much bigger today, but I'm not surprised at the drop in property size because of expense. Loz and I started in a 1000 square foot home in Round Lake on a 60 by 120 foot lot in 1975, but in 1992 moved to Spring Grove on an acre and 2200 square feet. Both homes were ranches and had basements.

Most homes have six or more rooms and three or more bathrooms. Our first one had six rooms and one bathroom. Today, we have nine rooms, two baths and two half baths. Back in 1973, only 19% of homes had two or more bathrooms.

I guess you might say we are moving on up. I'm sure our tax man thinks so anyway. I am floored by how much I pay for property taxes.

More to Come. --RoadDog


MAXINE SAYS: Celebrate Ben Franklin's birthday. GO FLY A KITE!!

No comments: