Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Enjoying That Good Old Carolina Beach Music

Right up there with Carolina BBQ, I like that genre of music called Carolina Beach Music. This is one of my favorite things to listen to and collect.

I especially like Sundays here in North Carolina, as that is Beach Music Day for local stations. Last Sunday, at Topsail Beach, I listened to Jerry Wayne and Steve Hardy on 107.9 FM and The Big Kahuna on 99.9 FM out of Wilmington.

Today, I've been listening to Jerry Wayne and Steve Hardy again as well as Big John on 102.3 FM. Sure enjoy this music and wish I could get it over the airwaves back home in Illinois, but at least I have the Surf 94.9 FM and Endless Summer which I can get over the internet.

The biggest problem with 107.9 is the huge number of commercials. It seems like there is about 10 minutes of commercials for every 3 minutes of music. Steve Hardy calls his show The Original Beach Party. Perhaps it should be called Steve Hardy's Original Commercial Party.

NO MORE RECORD RACK

Goldsboro's and eastern North carolina's source for Beach Music is, unfortunately, no more. After about a year and a half of closing, it really did. I wasn't sure it was when I drove by the builfing, but upon looking in the door saw that the lights were on, but the place completely bare.

Too bad. I sure will miss that place. When I first got into beach music back around 1988, I looked all over for a good beach music source and found some, but quite a distance from Goldsboro, then, one day I heard about it, went there, and was a regular customer every time I came back to visit my relatives.

Every visit, I'd spend a long time listening to new music and talking with Mean Gene Reich and Stan the Man Hartley.

Well, At Least I'll Be Saving a Lot of Money. --RoadDog

No comments: