Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, April 11, 2008

Got Home

Left Goldsboro on Tuesday and took US-70 to I-40 by Winston-Salem and then US-52, soon to be the I-74 Corridor, to Mt. Airy, Andy Griffith's home and the basis for Mayberry.

I just had to try Snappy Lunch's World Famous Porkchop Sandwich. Oliver, the creator and long-time owner, wasn't preparing them in the window as he has done for many years. I was afraid they were no longer serving them or that he had died, but he was on site, but walking around filling the ice bins and making sure all customers were served. He'd evidently had a stroke or something like it. I thanked him for coming up with such a great sandwich.

Walked around downtown and bought a few Mayberry-related items.

Got back on the interstate and got gas at Wytheville, Va. (where I-77 and I-81 run along together--duplexxed in road-speak). Gas was ten cents higher from two weeks ago, thanks a lot GRB Big OIL!!.

Drove north on I-77 to Cambridge, Ohio, and then west on the National Road (US-40) to Zanesville. Saw two famous National Road S-Bridges, so named for their shape.

Played NTN at the BW3 (Buffalo Wild Wings) and got a room at the Super 8 west of town.

Day One of On the Road. --RoadDog

No comments: