Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Yard Wildlife

CHIPMUNKS

This morning, sitting out on the front porch enjoying my breakfast pizza, the "Frontyard" chipmunk scampered across the sidewalk. I've seen him (her?) several times the last several days. I call him the "Frontyard" chipmunk as he is the only one I've seen in the front. The others are "Backyard" chipmunks and I have several of them. I guess they are not as uppity as "Frontyard."

This is the first year I've seen a chipmunk in the front yard.


TOADS AND DOVES

While working up close and personal with the flowers and weeds, I occasionally get frightened when something close to my fingers suddenly hops away. Thanks, Mr. Toad. Now, if we could just get them to eat those lousy mosquitoes.

And then there are the doves which scare me even more when they suddenly bolt because I've come too close. And, they bolt into the air with that tell-tale sound from their wings. Now, that'll get the old heart racing.


AND A DUCK

Yesterday, while working on the west side of the house, I had an even bigger bird bolt, a female mallard duck. I don't know if she was just resting or hat eggs in a nest, but I won't be looking.

We have had a mallard nest in the yard before. I'm never sure how she gets the chicks to water as we are not near any here on the bluff.


RAVENOUS LITTLE BIRDS

Lately, whenever I put out birdseed, it only takes those hungry little birdies a few hours to go through it. Then, they have to wait a day until refill time.

Be Still My Beating Heart. --RoadDog


LIVING NEAR CHICAGO...If it's 10 degrees and sleeting/snowing, it's opening day at Wrigley Field.

No comments: