Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Going Back to the Summer of 1971-- Part 1

Last Sunday, Bob Stroud did his annual trip back 40 years ago to summers that really had an impact on my generation and me in particular. He has been doing this since 2007, when he went back to the Summer of '67.

These are the songs were playing on the radio or in our record collections back on June 5, 1971.

These trips bring back a flood of memories for me. On June 5, 1971, I had finished my sophomore year at Northern Illinois University in Dekalb and was getting ready to move my stuff to my parents' house in Dunwoody, Georgia. I was going to the University of Georgia for my junior year.

I also had a six week training session with the USMC at Quantico, Virginia, for their PLC, Platoon Leader Class. That war in Vietnam was just NEVER going to end and with a draft lottery number 22, I was on my way when I graduated, so I decided to go as an officer.

As usual, Stroud's quotes after the song. Mine in parentheses.

I FEEL THE EARTH MOVE-- CAROLE KING-- "B" side of her new album, just out three months now, but starting to really sell.
YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND-- his version of a Carole King song from his Mudslide Slim and the Blue Horizon album.

THE CHANGELING-- DOORS-- From the album L.A. Woman. Side 1, Cut 1.
JOY TO THE WORLD-- THREE DOG NIGHT-- one of the biggest-selling singles of the year. Just making its descent down the charts. (When I was deejaying, I'd always ask the people, "Hey, what was the name of that bullfrog we used to get drunk with?" And, they always knew. Do you?)

A Great trip Back. --RoadDog


LIVING NEAR CHICAGO...Car horns are actually "Road Rage" indicators.

No comments: