Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Blues Guy Big Bill Broonzy-- Part 1

From the June 17th Chicago Tribune "Honoring Big Bill, with music, book" by Jessica Hopper.

I'm sitting here right now listening to "Good Time Tonight" by Big Bill Broonzy on prerecorded cassette tape from the Roots N Blues series. As I read the article, I seemed to remember that I had some of Big Bill's music. I did. Twenty songs recorded from 1930-1940. The sound quality is quite amazing considering what most blues songs from that era sound like. Most of the songs were recorded in Chicago, his home after he came north in the Great Migration.

There is also a good bio on the cassette cover.

This past Friday, the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago had a tribute show to him with a special concert. They've had one every year every year since the school's founding in 1957 (Broonzy died one year later).

In addition, this is also the book release party of his definitive biography. Local author Bob Riesman has spent much of the last decade researching Broonzy's life and has written"I Feel So Good: The Life and Times of Big Bill Broonzy."

I am a big blues fan (except when they jam too much) and have a large collection of blues albums, cassettes and CDs. Most Mondays, I'm listening to Bluesbreakers with Tom Marker on WXRT. I still miss Mr. A who had a night show on 96.9 Fm before it became the Drive, WDRV.

Loving That Blues. --RoadDog


And, Lastly, LIVING NEAR CHICAGO...Beware of anybody with a flag trying to get you to park in their yard. Even better, RUN!!! Or Drive quickly away.

No comments: