Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Problem with Hostas-- Part 1: Not!!

Actually, of all my plants, I have the least number of problems with that rugged little plant called hosta. This is one reason why I'm getting more and more of them, both ones and buy and ones I divide.

All my friends readily agree with me. This is a must for any yard.

I always hear that they are a shade plant, but they also grow well in the sun. They get bigger, but don't "take over" like so many other perennials.

About the only problem is that they have to be divided every so often, but then you have even more of them.

I never planted any when we lived in Round Lake Beach as any plant I had, had to have big flowers on them. Hostas have small blue spikes which just didn't fit the bill.

The first hostas I got were divisions from Irma Dunjin, a fellow teacher. Her transplants make up the largest number of hostas I have. I have them around the two sunburst honeylocusts in the front yard, the utility pole, the east sidewalk and in several locations in Frances' back 40.

It is a striking plant.

A Hosta a Day keeps the Weeds Away. --RoadDoh


LIVING NEAR CHICAGO...All old ladies with blue hair in Buicks, Caddies or Lincolns, have the right-of-way. Period!!

No comments: