Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, June 13, 2011

End of An Era for Me: Goodbye CDs

Last week, I was at the Super K-Mart in Round Lake Beach, Illinois, checking out their plants and electronics.

They are completely remodeling their electronics section. It was still a mess, but I did not see where they were going to sell CDs anywhere, other than a mini-section. Maybe there will be a bigger section so I'll have to go back, but, I know CDs are on their way out in this new down-load-it age.

My old record/CD club folded and was taken over by the Your Music site, which featured CDs for $6.99 (including p&h), a huge improvement over the clubs where you paid almost as much for shipping and handling as the CD.

I found out two months ago that they were closing down at the end of June.

I held out as long as I could against CDs, but had to come over once they stopped making LP albums. However, I came to really like the convenience of CDs like getting all the songs on one side as well as remote control and being able to skip around without lifting the tone arm.

I remember WXRT having an April Fool's bit back in the '90s about them finding that CDs deteriorate after a certain time which alarmed me until I remembered what day it was.

At my age, I guess when the last CD goes by, that will also be the last new music I buy as well. Oh well, I have plenty of old albums, cassettes and CDs to listen to to keep me occupied.

I Guess the Real April Fool's Trick Is About to Happen. --RoadDog


CRYING IN MY BEER.

No comments: