Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Done Deejayed

I did deejay from 11 to 5 Saturday at George's Cedar Inn in downtown Lake Villa, Illinois. It was the first time in a year (since I last played there) and I was happy to see that it came back to me.

I played nothing but Irish until 2:30, then played oldies from the 50s and 60s and country music interspersed with Irish music the rest of the time. I played George's favorite "No, I Don't Want to Do Dat" by the Happy Schnapps Combo four times and, of course, had to do the "Unicorn Song." Something about those GREEN alligators.

For the last five or six years, George and I have been trying to figure out how many years I've been playing at his place after the St. Patrick's Day parade. We knew it was a lot. His daughter found a flyer from the very first parade which was in 1993. I didn't start playing until the following year.

So that is, count 'em, 18 years.

I told him again that as long as my equipment works and he has the place, I'll be back.

Was I ever beat when I got home, though and that equipment has gotten REAL heavy. I wonder how I used to work five days teaching and then deejay two or three times over the weekends.

Oh, yes. I remember now. I wasn't as old then.

What Would Maxine Say? --RoadDog


MAXINE SAYS: I smile because I don't know what the hell is going on.

No comments: