Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Impact of Fort Sumter On My Life

Today marks the beginning of the Civil War Sesquicentennial. One hundred and fifty years ago, Confederates opened fire on Fort Sumter, the official start of four bloody years of warfare.

In 1961, I was here for the Centennial Commemoration and had, at the time, been interested in the war since my dad took me to Fort Fisher in North Carolina when I was seven and told me about the war.

Living in both North Carolina and North America, I naturally figured we were for the north. Dad had some real 'splaining to do. After that, I read anything about the war I could get my hands on.

That soon grew to an appreciation and interest in all things historical. I majored in history in college and even got a masters degree in it. I taught social studies for 33 years. All that is called impact.

I was almost ten at the Centennial and now, here I am almost 60 at the Sesquicentennial.

Where Does the Time Go? --RoadDog

No comments: