Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Where Were You April 3, 1966?-- Part 1

This past Sunday, Bob Stroud did a Time Warp back to April 3, 1966, then jumped ahead ten years for the last half of his Rock and Roll Roots Show on WDRV in Chicago.

April 3, 1966, I was a a freshman going to Fremd High School in Palatine, Illinois, where my family lived. Freshman and sophomores went to Fremd. Juniors and seniors to Palatine High School at the time (now both are 4-year schools).

I was a big Cub fan, but even bigger Sox fan with Tommy Agee as my favorite player on the Sox and Ron Santo on the Cubs. Every day after school, my buddies and I would go out to the field at St. Thomas School across the street from my house and play baseball until time to go home to eat.

These were the songs playing on WLS and WCFL (both AM) this date. Sroud's comments follow the name. If I have any, they are in parentheses.


YOU BABY-- TURTLES-- Top Ten and written by the great P.F. Sloan. (Could you get better pop harmonies? Good old Flo and Eddie.)
THIS OLD HEART OF MINE-- ISLEY BROTHERS-- (The single cover featured a white girl. Guess they were afraid a black group would scare white buyers away.)

SOUL & INSPIRATION-- RIGHTEOUS BROTHERS-- Big powerful ballad after leaving Phil Spector. (No kidding big and powerful.)
SLOOP JOHN B.-- BEACH BOYS-- debuting from the upcoming Pet Sounds album. (And one of my favorite BB songs. Oh, "Hoist up the John B's sail...")

Going Down Memory Lane. --RoadDog


WHY TEACHERS LOOK LIKE THAT: Q. What is the most common form of birth control?
A. Most people prevent contraception by wearing a condominium.

No comments: