Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Goodbye Amy Winehouse

September 14, 1983-July 23, 2011.

We hardly got to know her, but I did buy her Back to Black CD which I am listening to right now. I first became aware of her a few years back and then saw two of her performances and, wow, they took me right back to soul music back in the 60s and 70s. She was retro with a new sound.

I especially liked "Rehab," "You Know I'm No Good," "Back to Black" which really reminds me of the Supremes and "Tears Dry on Their Own."

She was known for her mix of musical genres of R&B, soul and jazz. But, unfortunately had huge drug and alcohol problems as well as self-destructive behavior. I see now that there is thought that she died from quitting alcohol. That would be great irony.

She died at age 27 and joins that list of Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin of ones we lost way too young.

Too bad. I Would Have Liked to See What She Was Capable Of.

No comments: