Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

JSIS: Bees and Butterflies-- Trees That Take Heat

JSIS-- Just Some Interesting Stuff.


1. BEES AND BUTTERFLIES-- The July 31st Chicago tribune had an article "Giving native pollinators a fighting chance" by Kathy Van Mullekom. There is a new book out about protecting butterflies and bees.

Across the world there is much worry about the huge drops in both populations, a bad indicator as to the health of planet Earth. The book suggests planting lots and lots of flowers, which I do. Also use as many native species as possible, which I also do.

And, I have lots of both, including a lot of the fattest bumblebees ever.


2. TREES THAT TAKE HEAT-- The July 31st Chicago Tribune had a short article on trees that can take summer heat. Two of them were cottoneaster and honey locusts due to small leaves. I have both plants in my yard. Probably five cottoneasters and four honey locusts (two skyliner and two sunbursts).

They definitely handle heat and drought well. My trees that don't handle it well are the river birch and paper birch which I keep watered during droughts.

Taking car Out in the Garden. --RoadDog


GROANERS: What do you get from pampered cows? Spoiled milk. (I get plenty of that by taking too long to drink it.)

No comments: