Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, January 9, 2009

It's Them, Not Me-- Good Old Calvin Knew

Yesterday, the Chicago Tribune ran a Sunday comic strip from fifteen years ago that pretty-well explains HOW we got into this current state of economy. It was the ever-classic Calvin & Hobbes by Bill Watterson. How he could have predicted so well that long ago during great times is any body's guess.

Calvin is playing the role of a GRB and running a lemonade stand charging $15 a glass. Good old Susie comes up to it and is outraged.

Susie: "How do you justify charging $15?"
Calvin: "Supply and Demand."

Susie, looking around and seeing no one else: "Where's the demand?!! I don't see any demand!"
Calvin: "There's lots of demand."

Susie: "Yeah?"
Calvin "Sure! As the sole stockholder in this enterprise, I DEMAND monstrous profit on my investment!"

"And as president and CEO of the company, I DEMAND an exorbitant annual salary!"

"And as my own employee, I DEMAND a high hourly wage and all sorts of company benefits! And then there's overhead and actual production costs!"

Susie: "But it looks like you just threw a lemon in some sludge water!"
Calvin, looking smug: Well, I have to cut expenses SOMEWHERE if I want to stay competitive."

Susie: "What if I got sick from that?"
Calvin: "'Caveat Emptor' is the motto we stand behind! I'd have to charge more if we followed health and environmental regulations."

Susie, walking away: "You're out of your mind. I'm going home to drink something else."
Calvin: "Sure! Put me out of a job! It's your anti-business types who ruin the economy."

Calvin now looking extremely mad.

Then seen walking to his mother.

Calvin to his mother: "I need to be subsidized."

Funny, but not so funny if you know what I mean.

How Did Bill Watterson Know That Long Ago? --RoadDog

No comments: