Sunday, December 8, 2019
The Top Ten songs in Chicago fifty years ago today according to WLS 890 AM.
1. SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER-- Diana Ross / Supremes
2. NA NA HEY HEY-- Steam
3. DOWN ON THE CORNER / FORTUNATE SON-- Creedence Clearwater Revival
4. COME TOGETHER / SOMETHING-- Beatles
5. LEAVING ON A JET PLANE-- Peter, Paul & Mary
6. BABY I'M FOR REAL-- Originals
7. HOLLY HOLY-- Neil Diamond
8. YESTER-YOU, YESTER-ME, YESTERDAY-- Stevie Wonder
9. I WANT YOU BACK-- Jackson 5
10. EVIL WOMAN DON'T PLAY YOUR GAMES WITH ME-- Crow
20. ELI'S COMING-- Three Dog Night
32. ELEANOR RIGBY-- Eleanor Rigby
33. BARBARA, I LOVE YOU-- New Colony Six
36. SHE-- Tommy James / Shondells
39. THESE EYES-- Jr. Walker &B All Stars
Name That Tune (from the above songs): "Early In The Evening, Just About Supper Time." Answer below. --RoadDog
"Down On the Corner
Saturday, December 7, 2019
From the December 7, 2019, Chico Enterprise-Herald "Pearl Harbor veteran is now the last survivor living in Butte County.
On December 7, 1941, a young Arthur M. Wells was on board the USS Pennsylvania when the Japanese came a calling. Now, 78 years later, he's the last remaining Pearl Harbor veteran in Butte County.
He served in the USMC from July 5, 1940 to Nov. 2, 1945. He served on a series of battleships at Saipan, Tinian and Okinawa.
He regularly attends the Pearl Harbor commemoration, but will not be able to attend this year.
Friday, December 6, 2019
December 7, 1941. Japanese forces launched a surprise attack on Pearl Harbor and the island of Oahu, striking a serious blow to U.S. forces stationed there.
The problem was that war had not been declared at the time.
Tomorrow is a day to remember what happened and to also remember that preparedness is always necessary.
I'll have my flags flying. Hope you will as well.
5. Millennials would rather keep the jobs they have.
4. Boomers are accepting weed.
3. Millennials aren't automatically tech wizards.
2. Baby Boomers tip more often than Millennials.
1. Millennials are projected to become the richest generation in US history.
Being a Millennial helps with the tech as they grew up with it.
DID YOU KNOW: The muzzle of a lion is like a fingerprint -- no two lions have the same pattern of whiskers.
Thursday, December 5, 2019
From the November 30, 2019, ListVerse "10 studies proving everything you believe about Millennials and Boomers Is Wrong" by Anthony Sfarra.
First to clarify: Boomers are those born between the end of World War II and the mid-1960s. Millennials were born between the early 1980s and either the mid-1990s or early 2000s depending upon who you believe.
These are based on recent studies. You can get more information by going to the site.
10. Baby Boomers aren't killing Social Security.
9. Millennials read just as much as older generations. (Books)
8. Baby Boomers have embraced technology too.
7. Millennials are more religious than you might think.
6. Boomers aren't ready for retirement.
So, Take That Stereotypes. --RoadBoomer
DID YOU KNOW: Donald Duck's middle name is Fauntleroy.
Wednesday, December 4, 2019
JSS: So Tired of Cyber Monday-- New Christmas Movies-- My Favorite Christmas Movies-- Snow Didn't Stick-- The Drive In Lights
JSS-- Just Some Stuff
1. SO TIRED OF CYBER MONDAY-- If I heard it or saw it once.... They just don't give it up. By the way, I didn't order anything over the internet Monday or even leave the house on Friday. Sorry guys, you lost that bit of your advertising dollar.
2. NEW CHRISTMAS MOVIES-- I heard that Hallmark Channel has 40 new Christmas movies. One of these days I might have to watch one of their Christmas movies.
3. MY FAVORITE CHRISTMAS MOVIES-- I have added a fifth to my list of favorites. It is "Scrooged." Hey, Bill Murray.
4. SNOW DIDN'T STICK-- It snowed over night on Monday, but did not stick on the driveway, sidewalks or street. I sure don't mind snow when I don't have to mess with it.
5. THE DRIVE IN LIGHTS-- One of the three Chicago radio stations I listen to, WDRV, 97.1, 96.9 FM, the Drive, has a contest where the winner gets $1,000 if they have the best WDRV lights up in their yard.
Thinking About It. --RoadDrive
DID YOU KNOW. Telly Savalas and Louis Armstrong died on their birthdays.
MALCOM "MOLLY" DUNCAN, 74
Died 8 October 2019
Played saxophone on their 1975 instrumental hit "Pick Up the Pieces." Scottish tenor saxophonist and founding member of Average White Band.
Recorded with Ray Charles, Tom Petty, Buddy Guy, Ben E. King. Dire Straits and Bryan Ferry. Also played live with Eric Clapton, Marvin Gaye and Chaka Khan.
LARRY JUNSTROM, 70
Died October 6, 2019
Bassist with Lynyrd Skynyrd and .38 Special. Was a founding member of Lynyrd Skynyrd.
However, he left the group before they recorded their first album. He is better known as a member of .38 Special, with whom he performed 1977 to 2014.
Monday, December 2, 2019
Past Movie Scratches-- Movies I saw on TV in 2018.
97. TOP GUN-- 12-15-- Flying upside-down and "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling."
98. STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI-- 12-16-- Ewoks to the rescue. Luke gets his father back.
99. STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS-- 12-16-- Now it's the First Order and Kylo Ren vs. BB-8, Rey and Finn.
100. CHRISTMAS VACATION-- 12-17-- Cousin Eddie's heart is bigger than his brain.
101. ELF-- 12-18-- Beware the central Par Rangers. Reminds me of the horsemen after Frodo or mounted guys chasing Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. "I'll have some syrup with that."
102. PLANES, TRAINS & AUTOMOBILES-- 12-19-- We all agree, one of the funniest movies ever and without all those "F" bombs now used to make people laugh. That poor, poor car.
Those Last Three Movies. Very, Very Funny. --RoadHaHa
DID YOU KNOW: Alfred Hitchcock didn't have a belly button. It was eliminated when he was sewn up after surgery.
GINGER BAKER, 80
Died 6 October 2019
Peter Edward "Ginger" Baker was an English drummer and co-founder of supergroup Cream with Jack Bruce and Eric Clapton. After that with another supergroup, Blind Faith.
He had a series of groups after that.
Some mighty good music here.
VINNIE BELL, 87
Died 3 October 2019
Session guitarist and pioneer in electric effects in pop music. Was a member of the Ramrods "Ghost Riders in the Sky" (#30-1961)
Played on many well-known sons. Some of them:
Good Morning Starshine-- Oliver
The Worst That Could Happen-- Brooklyn Bridge
Baby I Love You-- Andy Kim
Hello Dolly-- Louis Armstrong
Chapel of Love-- Dixie Cups
Only in America-- Jay & the Americans
Eve of Destruction-- Barry McGuire
To see a bigger., and I mean MUCH BIGGER list of songs, go to Welcome to Vinnie.com
ROBERT HUNTER, 78
Died 23 September 2019
Singer, songwriter and lyricist with the Grateful Dead.
Born Robert Burns and reportedly was great-great grandson of Romantic poet Robert Burns. When his mother remarried, he took the name of his step-father. Became friends with Jerry Garcia before the Grateful Dead was formed.
Wrote the words to many Grateful Dead hits, including:
Box of Rain
Friend of the Devil
Touch of Grey
Uncle Jon's Band
Sunday, December 1, 2019
These were the Top Ten songs in Chicago fifty years ago, according to WLS, 890 AM. This station and WCFL, 1000 AM were the two main stations kids listened to in Chicago back then.
1. NA NA HEY HEY-- Steam
2. COME TOGETHER / SOMETHING-- Beatles
3. HOLLY HOLY-- Neil Diamond
4. LEAVING ON A JET PLANE-- Peter, Paul & Mary
5. SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER-- Diana Ross / Supremes
6. BABY, I'M FOR REAL-- Originals
7. YESTER-ME, YESTER-YOU, YESTERDAY-- Stevie Wonder
8. SMILE A LITTLE SMILE FOR ME-- Flying Machine
9. DOWN ON TE CORNER / FORTUNATE SON-- CCR
10. I WANT YOU BACK-- Jackson 5
36. JINGLE JANGLE-- Archies
37. DON'T LET LOVE HANG YOU UP-- Jerry Butler
39. TURN TURN TURN-- Judy Collins
40. VENUS-- Shockin' Blue
Name That Tune (from the above songs): "My Love Is Yours, Baby, Oh, Right From the Start." Answer below. --RoadDog
"Someday Well Be Together"
Saturday, November 30, 2019
Congratulations to the Richmond-Burton Rockets on Winning the IHSA Class 4A State Football Championship!!!
Last night, in a chilly DeKalb, Illinois, at Huskie Stadium, Home of the NIU Huskies, the Richmond-Burton Rockets completed a wonderful 14-0 season with a big win over Murphrysboro.
Richmond-Burton serves students from Richmond and Burton townships and the villages of Richmond and Spring Grove. We live in Spring Grove and our subdivision's high school students go there so it makes this an even bigger win for us.
And, what a season it was for the Rockets. They were a scoring and defensive juggernaut.
A look at their games:
R-B 48 Wauconda 12
R-B 50 Aurora Central Catholic 0
R-B 47 Johnsburg 0
R-B 44 Harvard 0
R-B 38 Marengo 13
R-B 56 Woodstock 0
R-B 49 Woodstock North 0
R-B 37 Johnsburg 14
R-B 34 Quincy Notre Dame 14
So, in the regular season, Richmond-Burton scored 403 points and gave up 53.
R-B 56 Chicago Urban Prep/Bronzeville 6
R-B 49 Marengo 7
R-B 24 Elmhurst Immaculate Conception 14
R-B 30 Coal City 0
R-B 50 Murphysboro 14
Scored 209 points and gave up 41 in the playoffs.
These scores show domination.
Immaculate Conception won Class 4A last year and Coal City was picked to winit this year.
Thank You for a Great Season, Rockets. --RoadRocket
Friday, November 29, 2019
JSS: So Tired of Black Friday-- That 70s Music on the Drive-- First Christmas Radio, Now Christmas TV?-- Christmas Toilet Paper?
JSS-- Just Some Stuff.
1. SO TIRED OF BLACK FRIDAY-- I will be so glad when today is over. For the last that is just about all I've been hearing. Black Friday, Black Friday, Black Friday. Give me a break. And, we didn't even go out of the house so you wasted all that advertising money on us.
2. THAT 70S MUSIC ON THE DRIVE-- In case you really like the music from the 1970s, Chicago's WDRV 97.1 FM the Drive, is playing music from 1976 today. Tomorrow its 1977 and Sunday 1978. It streams.
3. FIRST CHRISTMAS RADIO, NOW CHRISTMAS TV?-- Of course, some of the Christmas radio stations fired up on Nov. 1 and all are going now. Now, we have two cable channels showing pretty much nothing but Christmas movies. Lifetime and Hallmark. I've heard that most of these movies have pretty much the same plot. I haven't seen any yet, but might just have to watch some to make up my mind on them.
4. CHRISTMAS TOILET PAPER?-- And this pushes the boundaries a bit much. Charmin even has a Christmas toilet paper song. We've sure come a long way since "Please don't squeeze the Charmin."
Too Much, Man. --RoadTP
DID YOU KNOW: Tigers also have striped skin, not just striped fur.