Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Around Here: A Civil War Encampment, Stucky's, Karaoke and Da Pack Beats Da Bears

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 16

For the first time since 2019,I went to a Civil War encampment at Hainesville, Illinois.  It was good to get around like-minded folks like me.  It was sunny, but blustery with a good bit of cold in the air.  Not bad in the sunlight, but avoid tree shade.

I met and talked with my friend Bob, who was playing the part of Elijah Haines, the founder and namesake of Hainesville.  We go back to 1973, when we were both teachers in Round Lake.  I also sat in on the presentations by U.S. Grant and Abraham Lincoln.

They were going to recreate the Battle of Bentonville, fought in North Carolina on March 19-21, 1865.  This battle was fought just 25 miles from where I was born in 1951, Goldsboro.  However, I had been wind-blown enough by then so I decided to leave.

Later that night Liz and I went to Stucky's in Johnsburg where we ate an d I sang karaoke.

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 17 

Met the new neighbors across the street for the first time.  We went to the McHenry American Legion where we watched a certain quarterback own us again as he said so emphatically after scoring a TD.  The 24-14 final score was not truly indicative of their domination.  Sure getting tired of watching Da Bears play Da Packers.

--RoadSadBears


No comments: