Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, October 27, 2008

The Old Teaching Team

This past Friday, I found out from Kora, that the Education Association of Round Lake was holding its annual Bowling Bash at Lakes Bowl in Round Lake that same day.

Drove over and met up with all the members of my old teaching team at Magee Middle School. That would be Bob, who retired in 2004 before we moved to the new building, Diane who transferred to Village School the same year I retired in 2006, and Terri who still teaches with the team and is now back to Magee Middle School since it just reopened this fall.

We had a "team meeting" to discuss old times. We had this lineup for about ten years after Jeannie left to become administration in a different district.

Suzanne was there with her several-month old daughter. She replaced Bob when he retired. She, Terri, Diane, and myself made up the team for my my last two years of teaching.

I was just about to get after Bob for not telling me about the bash since I had just seen him the previous Saturday for the Northwestern game. But, he said that Diane had just told him the night before.

They still laugh about my worst day-ever of teaching when I stuck with the idiot squad while the rest of our sections went to a play at the high school. These were the behavior kids whose actions didn't deserve to go. Things went alright until a bomb scare delayed the return of the rest of the team and things went from bad to worse in my room.

There was no administrator in the building and sending the miscreants to the office soon became a non-option. Eventually I was forced just to make sure no one got hurt or no major damage was done to the room. By far the worst day I ever had. I'd had nightmares about such a day and here it was.

I survived, however and there were no injuries. I did make the lives of "idiot squad" miserable for the last two months of school. I was just too outnumbered that day.

Sure, It's Funny Now. But, a Good Time Reminiscing Friday. --RoadDog

No comments: