Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Chart February 1964-- Beatlemania Hits US

Yesterday, I stopped at a new favorite (but expensive for me) place to go down in Arlington Heights, Home of the 10% SALES TAX, Half Price Books, at the corner of Dundee and Rand Roads. It costs at least $30 for me to go into that place. And there's more, there's more, I'm still not satisfied.

Anyway, I bought a book by Dave McAleer titled the Book of Hit Singles, Top 20 Charts from 1954 to the Present Day (2001). He uses both British and US charts. US charts are based on Billboard, to me STILL THE CHART.

1. I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND-- Beatles
2. YOU DON'T OWN ME-- Lesley Gore
3. UM, UM, UM, UM, UM-- Major Lance
4. SHE LOVES YOU-- Beatles
5. OUT OF LIMITS-- Marketts
6. HEY LITTLE COBRA-- Rip Chords
7. JAVA-- Al Hirt-- On the pop charts?
8. FOR YOU-- Rick Nelson
9. DAWN (GO AWAY)-- Four Seasons
10. ANYONE WHO HAD A HEART-- Dionne Warwick
11. SURFIN' BIRD-- Trashmen
12. WHAT KIND OF FOOL (DO YOU THINK I AM)-- Tams BEACH MUSIC!!!!!
13. CALIFORNIA SUN-- Rivieras-- Good old surfing music from an Indiana group
14. TALKING ABOUT MY BABY-- Impressions
15. THERE I'VE SAID IT AGAIN-- Bobby Vinton-- The "Blue Guy" does something else.
16. STOP AND THINK IT OVER-- Dale & Grace
17. NAVY BLUE-- Diane Renay Blue, Navy Blue, I'm as blue as i can be."
18. A FOOL NEVER LEARNS-- Andy Williams-- On a pop chart?
19. PLEASE PLEASE ME-- Beatles
20. SEE THE FUNNY LITTLE CLOWN-- Bobby Goldsboro

The Beatles had THREE songs in the top twenty. They had knocked January's No. 1, "There, I've Said It Again" by Bobby Vinton down to #15. The next month, they had the top three songs and #10.

Of interest, the only Beatles song in the UK's top twenty was "I Want to Hold Your Hand" at #12. Number 1 in Britain was "Needles and Pins" by the Searchers. The British invasion had not fully arrived in the US. Other groups in the UK's top twenty were Gerry & the Pacemakers, Dave Clark Five, Manfred Mann, Dusty Springfield, and the Hollies.

Bringing Back Some Memories. --RoadDog

No comments: