Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, February 6, 2009

Speaking of Karaoke

I continue to find things I can sort of sing and things I ought not even try to sing.

I have to put "Chantilly Lace" in the "Can" column along with Sam the Sham's "Little Red Riding Hood" and "There's a Tear in My Beer." Neither of the first two were great singers and lots of talking through it. For some reason, I don't do badly on Hank Williams, Jr. An even if I don't do great on these, folks are singing along so loudly, mess-ups aren't noticed as much.

Two in the "Can't" column would be "American Pie" by Don McLean and "Signs" by the Five Man Electric Band. The last one is a definite no.

The guy running the karaoke can't sing much either and won't start until he has at least three victims signed up.

On Wednesday, we had a guy named Tommy singing some mighty good country. Last night, one guy got up and sang two of the best renditions of country songs I've ever heard, but was told that he sings in the band at Tootsies at Pier Park. A girl got up and did "Redneck Woman" just as well, and she was at Tootsies as well.

One black guy was absolutely great singing anything, including Hootie & the Blowfish.

And, speaking of karaoke, The Beach, 95.1 FM, just played Patsy Cline's "Crazy." Two people did that last night including Phylis. We couldn't get Donovan's "Mayor," Gary, up to sing no-way, no-how. But, he sure did trip the light fantastic out on the dance floor the night before.

Had a Great Time. --RoadDog

No comments: