Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, June 29, 2009

Did My Barbecue Thing

Got my good old Carolina 'cue three times over the unexpected trip to NC. Twice in Goldsboro, NC, and once at the airport.

The 22nd, we went to Wilber's on the US-70 East Bypass. This has been a family tradition since Wilber Shirley opened the place in the 60s. For the first time in memory, I tried their potato salad. Normally, I get an double order of cole slaw (every bite of bbq pork has to be accompanied by a portion of slaw on the fork), and I had ordered the double slaw, but the waitress accidentally brought me potato salad. Decided to give it a try. Mighty good. Next time, I won't know what to order for the sides.

Price of a heaping plate is now $7.50, including your 'cue, two sides, and those great hush puppies (especially good when right out of the fryer.


McCALL'S AND THE AIRPORT

Saturday, we ate at McCall's BBQ, also on US 70 Bypass. You can order of the menu or get their buffet. We had Calabash-style shrimp, flounder, fried oysters, clam strips, fried chicken, bbq chicken, as well as bbq and salad for $11.99.

Yesterday, at RDU Airport, I had some time to kill, so checked out all the stores and restaurants at terminal 2. One place had Carolina bbq, so I had it for lunch. Really tasty bbq, two sides, and hush puppies for $8.25, not a bad price at an airport. They had cole slaw, but I didn't see it, so got collard greens and mac and cheese. Pretty good stuff.

So, next time you're passing through RDU (Raleigh-Durham Airport) and have a layover at terminal 2, try some Carolina cuisine.

Lovin' My 'Cue. --RoadDog

No comments: