Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Here in North Carolina-- Part 3: Eating at Mae's, Beachin' and Freezin' with the Embers

MARCH 25TH-- FRIDAY

Mom and I drove to Seven Springs, (pop. 85) about 13 miles from Goldsboro. We had a feast for breakfast at Mae's Restaurant: $5 for a loaded western omelet, double grits (Hey! NC!!), toast and coffee. Quite an experience.

We then drove around to various sites connected with the Civil War Battle of White Hall, the Methodist Church on the hill above town from where Union batteries fired on Confederate troops and the CSS Neuse, and one of the two hotels built to provide rooms for people visiting the springs, each one of the seven reputed to help with a different disease,

On the way back, we went to the Cliffs of the Neuse State Park which are 70 feet above the Neuse River.

Back in Goldsboro, I went to Berkely Mall and enjoyed browsing through the CDs at the FYE store. These days, choices of CDs are getting harder and harder to find.


MARCH 26TH-- SATURDAY

My brother Bob and I drove over to the Fremont Daffodil Festival and enjoyed the Beach band Embers who have been playing music together since the late 1950s. They are one of the best Beach Music Show Bands in the state and put on an excellent show.

I also talked with men from the local Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp and had my first-ever applejack pastry. Good eatin', can I have another?

Too bad the weather was so unseasonably cold. We left before the end of the Embers show as I was beginning to see my breath and it was starting to drizzle.

"I Love Beach Music" a Song by the Embers. --RoadDog

No comments: