Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Walking the Line...Again: Waukegan Teacher Strike

This past Monday, October 6th, Liz and I drove to Waukegan, Illinois, about 30 miles away, and relived something that happened to us 20 years ago.  We walked the picket line with the Waukegan teachers as their strike entered the third day.  Today is the beginning of their 6th day and it looks as if it is going to be a long strike as the board and administration only gives lip service to any negotiations.

This sure brought back memories of the Round Lake teacher strike of 1994, which started on October 17th and went on for 38 days (and I'm not talking overall days, they were actual days of school that were missed).

I have often said that if there ever was a teacher strike nearby that I'd walk the line, but the only one since I retired was at Richmond, Illinois, where kids in our subdivision go to school and I was in North Carolina at the time and it was a short strike and over by the time I got back.

We walked to honor our strike and especially for our president during the strike, Terri,  and Kim Kearby who died this past year.

More to Come.  --RoadDog

No comments: