Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, February 21, 2015

What, a Movie That People See Is Vying for Best Picture Oscar?

From the Feb. 2, 2015, Time Magazine "An Oscar for Sniper?" by Richard Corliss.

This was to be the year of low budget indie films getting Oscar nods for best picture.

"Underlining its commitment to excellent films that few people have seen," the Academy didn't nominate the top grossing "Lego Movie" for Best Animated Feature or "Gone Girl for Best Picture.

It's like they're saying, "Don't bother watching. This one's for connoisseurs only."  As a matter of fact, I am considering not watching for that very reason.  Who cares to "pull" for movies you haven't seen.

But then came Clint Eastwood's "American Sniper."  People have seen it!!  And, it's good.  Of course, when it comes to a Clint Eastwood movie, I know it will be good.

This past year of 2014, I saw 80 movies, way more than most people.  When the Oscar nominations were announced, I hadn't seen ANY OF THEM!!!  Most had never even been shown at my multiplex theatre ion Fox Lake, Illinois.  I was planning to see "American Sniper" but that was all.

I have since been able to also see "The Imitation Game" and "The Theory of Everything."

All three were great movies.  As a matter of fact, I almost always like the movies that are nominated if I get the chance to see them.  It is not fair that only the elite snobs, PBSers and critics get the opportunity to see movies like these.

Maybe I'll Watch, But Most Likely Not.  --RoadDog


CHEERS' NORM PETERSON'S BEST QUOTES:  What's going on, Mr. Peterson?  "A flashing sign in my gut says, 'Insert beer here.'"

No comments: