Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Where Were You August 2, 1969?-- Part 1

This past Sunday, Bob Stroud did his third installment of his Time Warp back to the Summer of 1969.

By now, I was really getting ready to start my freshman year at Northern Illinois University in Dekalb. I had a chance to go to any college I wanted in Illinois and this was the one I chose. I liked it because it was far enough away, but close enough to home in Palatine, about an hour.

I had already been to an orientation program on campus and was really looking forward to it. As they say, "It's not for knowledge that I come to college, but to raise hell while I'm here."

As usual, quotes are Stroud's and those in parentheses are mine.

You're just in time to stop on in and follow us back to the Summer of 1969 as we commemorate the 40th anniversary of August 2, 1969. This is what your radio sounded like.

GREEN RIVER-- CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL-- Speaking of two-sided hits, this was a new one in your radio from Creedence Clearwater. On the "A" side, "Green River and their new album would be out in about three weeks as well. This would be the title track from their third album. We'll hear the "B" side a little later in the show. (CCR always will be my favorite group.)
UNDONE-- GUESS WHO-- Doing it up with Guess Who on the Time Warp. There was a new two-sided hit. There's the "B" side. The "A" side we'll hear a little later. (Blue-eyed soul from Burton Cummings and crew.)

Break-- Coming back, Stroud played part of "Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet" by Henry Mancini. "Music to the soundtrack. This was a movie basically about a boy named Romeo and a girl named Juliet.

A BOY NAMED SUE-- JOHNNY CASH-- There was also a song on your radio 40 years ago about a boy named Sue by J.C., Johnny Cash. It was brand new from "Live at San Quentin. And, I'm a jock named Bob, this morning a Boss Jock. ("...Bill or George, anything but Sue!!" When I was deejaying, I really gave any girl in the audience named Sue a hard time with this one.)


More to Come. --RoadDog

No comments: