Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Vinyl Record Day-- Part 1

I just saw it today, but yesterday, the Chicago Tribune said was Vinyl Record Day, celebrating Thomas Edison's invention of the phonograph which some say took place August 12, 1877. This date is questioned by historians and many folks under thirty wonder what a vinyl record is. Can you download it?

Although i really like CDs, I still miss the old LPs (Long Playing). And, they were considerably CHEAPER, something I especially like. I started deejaying playing 45s and lps on turntables. But, I didn't like carrying a whole album if I was just going to play one song. So, I switched to cassette tapes, which I still use even though they are increasingly hard to find.

Lately, I have been playing the "Easy Rider" and "Woodstock" albums in honor of the 40th anniversaries of those two events. Before that, it had been awhile since I played one which was probably Jaime Brockett's "Ballad of the USS Titanic" where he put his own spin on what caused that ship sank.

What Are You Going to Do With 297-a-half Feet of Rope? --RoadDog

I must still have ten or twelve turntables and a thousand albums and who knows how many 45s. I really should count them some day.

No comments: