Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, May 4, 2012

We Lose "Moose" Skowron

From the April 29th Chiicago Tribune "Chicago favorite an 8-time All-Star" by Jim O'Donnell.

BILL "MOOSE" SKOWRON (1930-2012)

I will be writing more about his death in the Cooter's History Thing Blog, but since I am a real big White Sox fan, I am including mention of his death here.  "Moose" was one of my favorite Sox players when I became a fan back in the early 60s, even though he "DID" play for those New York Yankees!!  I'll never forget seeing him at Comiskey Park and hearing what I thought were boos from the fans when he was announced.  I soon found out they were yelling "Moose!"

He grew up in Chicago, played football and baseball for two years at Purdue and then with those "Yankees from 1954 to 1962 where he won four World Series.  In 1963, they traded him to the Dodgers and he helped them beat his old team to win another World Series.  He played for the Sox from 1964 to 1967 and was an eight-time All-Star first baseman. 

His final Major League stats were 211 home runs and .282 batting average.

I was greatly saddened to hear that he had lung cancer last year.

So Long, "M-O-O-o-O-o-O-E!!"  We'll Miss You.  --RoadDog

No comments: