Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, October 9, 2015

Music Deaths: Billy Joe Royal

I was especially saddened to read about his death yesterday in the Northwest (Ill.) Herald.

BILLY JOE ROYAL, 73.  Died October 6, 2015.

Roomed for awhile with Joe South, who got Billy to record a demo of his "Down in the Boondocks" which turned out to be a huge milestone in Royal's career as it was picked up by Columbia Records and went to #9 in 1965.  he had several big hits in the early part of his career with "I Knew You When" (#14-1965), "Hush" (#52-1967) and "Cherry Hill Park" (#15-1969).  Deep Purple had a bigger hit with "Hush."

In the 1980s, Billy Joe Royal invented himself as a country performer with several hits including "Burned Like a Rocket" and "Boardwalk Angel."  These songs also were quite popular with the Beach Music crowd.

It was 50 years ago that Billy Joe Royal was enjoying his greatest success.  "Down in the Boondocks" had just dropped off the charts and "I Knew You When" was just climbing them.  "Down in the Boondocks" is one of those remember songs for me.  It takes me right back to my parent's gift to me for my graduation from eighth grade when they sent me to Canada on a fishing trip.  This song and "I Got You babe" were played over and over.

He'll be Missed.

No comments: