Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Sunday, May 10, 2020

Happy Mother's Day, Mom and Liz's Mom


My mom, Barbara, would have been 89 today, but died in 2016 at age 85.  I am so glad that all three of us kids were with her for her last Mother's Day that year.  We were there for my Aunt Louise's 90th birthday party in Mt. Olive, North Carolina.

But, the three of us, Bob, Julie and I, had not been together for a Mother's Day probably since out twenties (I'm going to be 69 in two weeks).  Julie lives in Georgia, Bob in North Carolina and I live in Illinois.  So, I know this was extra special for her.

She died in June.

So, like I said in the last post, watch the Summer's End" video by John Prine, and do whatever you can in these days to say you love her to your mom.  Another song that brings Mom to mind is C.W. McCall's "Roses for Mama."

You never know when it is going to be your last time with her.

Liz's mom, Frances, would have been 104 today.  I got along with her very well, even if she was my mother-in-law, which I kidded her about much of the time.  We did a lot together even when Liz wasn't with us.

Whenever she would come in to see me deejaying, I always played Ernie K. Doe's "Mother-in-Law" and, in honor of her speeding ticket "Little Old Lady from Pasadena."

I Sure Do Miss My Moms.  --RoadMissingMom


No comments: