Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, September 23, 2021

Songs from the Summer 1971-- Part 11: 'I Just Want to Celebrate'

I was a junior at the University of Georgia at this time fifty years ago, having transferred at the end of my sophomore year from Northern Illinois University.  My parents and family were now living in Dunwoody, Georgia, Atlanta northern suburbs.  My parents gave me a 1963 Rambler station wagon to go to school.

But, a big reason I transferred was to go to a school with a big football program, which Georgia definitely had.  Vince Dooley coached the team which ended the season with an 11-1 record, good for second place in the SEC and a #7 AP ranking.  That was a fun year, but I couldn't get over the students attending the games wearing suits and evening dresses.  That just wasn't done at Northern.

HEART OF THE COUNTRY--  Paul McCartney  Bob Stroud always plays two Beatle songs at 9 am when Terri Hemmert ends her Breakfast With the Beatles show on WXRT.

BANGLADESH--  George Harrison

GETTING IN TUNE--  Who

I JUST WANT TO CELEBRATE--  Rare Earth

MERCY MERCY ME--  Marvin Gaye

RIDERS ON THE STORM--  Doors

DON'T GO NEAR THE WATER--  Beach Boys

I FEEL THE EARTH MOVE--  Carole King

LIAR--  Three Dog Night     A song that always reminds me of PLC Class at Quantico, Virginia, that summer.

BITCH--  Rolling Stones

Name That Tune (from the above songs):  "I Won't Ever Leave If You Want Me To Stay."  Answer below.  --RoadDog


"Liar"


No comments: