Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, March 2, 2023

Trying to Reason With an Ice Storm-- Part 1

The Icestorm of Wednesday, February 22.

Starting over the weekend of Feb. 18-19, we started getting dire warnings of a likely ice storm heading our way, with the worst part supposed to hit us along the Illinois-Wisconsin border and areas north.  To the south it would be more of a rain situation.  I always take it under advisement as the weather folks are often right, but also often wrong.  I was hoping they were wrong.

However, Monday and Tuesday, Feb. 20 and 21, it was still predicted to hit Wednesday, my usual day to drive up to Donovan's Reef in Twin Lakes, Wisconsin.  I adopted a wait and see attitude.  

Well, they were right on with their predictions.  We did have an ice storm and it was the worst I can remember having in the 30 years we've lived in Spring Grove, Illinois.  By the time I would have left for Donovan's at 1:30 pm, there was a thick coating of ice on all the trees and bushes.  Staying put now.

Really hoping we don't lose power.  At 6:15, the lights flickered and then ten monutes later, flickered and went out for good.  Of course, dumb old me had not put any flashlights nearby, so had to grope for some.  Finally found one and was in business.

But, now what.  I can't do anything without electricity and Wednesdays are one of my favorite TV days.  No TV, no radio, no stereo, no nothing.

Might just as well go to sleep.

--RoadIcedOut


No comments: