Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

This Card's for You!!


Sunday's Chicago Tribune has a Flashback page at the end of the magazine. It always features an old picture and interesting facts.

This one was a photo from 1931 of a bunch of girls from Bowen High School practicing for a Tribune-sponsored Bridge Tournament.

It goes on to say that today, when people hear the term bridge game, it conjures up genteel old ladies playing the game, but back in the 1920s and 30s, it was the HOT game.

Bridge can lead to arguments and even loss of friends on occasion. But here's a good story. In 1929, Myrtle and John Bennett of Kansas City, Mo., were partners in a game with another couple. His play in a key hand led her to call him a "bum bridge player." He hit her and she went into the other room, returned with a gun and shot him dead. And, she was ACQUITTED!!!! I'd sure like to know how she got out of that one. What a bum's rush. The Tribune wonders how many bridge players were on the jury.

Then, some interesting facts:

Number of bridge books on the NY Times Best-Seller List in 1938: 3

Billionaire bridge players pushing the game: Warren Buffett and Bill Gates

Number of weeks the Tribune discontinued its bridge column back in 2005 before reader protest brough it back: 1.

Liz says her mom Frances was always trying to get her to play, but that never happened. Frances and her friends Vivian and Kay were major bridge players.

My mom plays bridge about once a week as did my grandmother. My cousin Joe is a big-time player in the Virginia/NC circuit.

I do not think I've ever played.

HEARTS, SPADES, and a Little PINOCHLE

However, in college I used to play Hearts and Spades a lot. I had never played them before I got there. This caused me to miss a lot of classes. I signed up for early morning classes as a freshman. I didn't know any better. How was I to know that the Hearts games at Northern lasted until 3 or 4 in the morning. That made it VERY difficult to get up a few hours later for that 8 AM class.

Hearts were popular at NIU. The year I went to Georgia, the game was Spades.

Remember Who You Don't Want to Get in Hearts Unless You're Running? --RoadDog

No comments: