Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, October 1, 2012

A Look Back: Top 20 Songs October 1962-- Part 1

Taken from The Book of Hit Singles: Top 20 Charts From 1954 to the Present Day (well, 2001) by Dave McAleer.

Based on the Billboard Charts for the whole month.

Going back 50 years to this month, October 1962.  I was 11, in sixth grade and living in Rolling Meadows, Illinois.  This was PB (Pre-Beatles) so I wasn't listening to music at the time.


1.  MONSTER MASH--  Bobby "Boris" Pickett & the Crypt Kickers.  I wonder if he was related to Wilson (as in Pickett).  I actually got to see him sing this song at the Kenosha County (Wisconsin) Fair.  For some reason, I sure played this song a lot in October when I was deejaying.
2.  SHERRY--  FOUR SEASONS--  An all-time great.
3.  RAMBLIN' ROSE--  NAT "KING" COLE--  One of my Dad's favorites.  Dad listening to pop music?  Who'd have figured.
4.  PATCHES--  DICKEY LEE--  The only "Patches" song I knew was that syrupy one by Clarence Carter.
5.  DO YOU LOVE ME--  CONTOURS--  Great song when released.  Great in that dance scene from ""Dirty Dancing."

6.  I REMEMBER YOU--  FRANK IFIELD--
7.  LET'S DANCE--  CHRIS MONTEZ--  "Food Fight!!!!"  You remember that scene from "Animal House."
8.  GREEN ONIONS--  BOOKER T. & THE M.G.S--  How do you make a better instrumental than this.
9.  HE'S A REBEL--  CRYSTALS--  Great girl-group song.
10.  ONLY LOVE CAN BREAK A HEART--  GENE PITNEY--

Welcome to Fall.  --RoadDog


WHICH CAME FIRST?  Put 'em in order.

Worcestershire Sauce, Cheddar Cheese, Mayonnaise, Corn Flakes

No comments: