Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, September 6, 2019

WLS Top 40 for September 8, 1969-- Part 3: "Nitty Gritty"


The number after the artist is how high it got on the Billboard Hot 100 national chart.

30.  NOBODY BUT YOU BABE--  Clarence Reid     #40   Great horns.  I don't remember hearing it, but some really good soul music.  He's doing his thing with nobody but you, baby.  Reminds me of the Isley Brothers "It's Your Thing."  Answer song to "It's Your Thing."  Also recorded as Blowfly.

29.  WHEN I DIE--  Motherlode     #18   Not to be confused with Blood, Sweat & Tears' "And When I Die."  Would have been a great 5th Dimension song.  A true One Hit Wonder with the only song they had that cracked the Top 100.

28.  JEAN--  Oliver     #2   A gag song if there ever was one.  Right up  there with "Honey."  Listened to it for a minute before I couldn't listen anymore.

27.  EVERYBODY'S TALKIN'--  Nilsson    #6   Great song.  makes up for that last song.  I believe the flipside was "Rainmaker," a song that always reminds me of Rick's at Northern Illinois Univ. in DeKalb.  From the movie "Midnight Cowboy."

26.  NITTY GRITTY--  Gladys Knight & the Pips     #19    Gettin' Funky.  R&B family from Atlanta.

Name That Tune (from the above songs):  "I Don't Hear A Word They're Saying, Only the Echoes Of My Mind."  Answer below.  --RoadDog


"Everybody's Talkin' "

No comments: