Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, May 1, 2008

April 19th-- A Day in Springfield, Illinois

At 9, Liz drove me over to the Hilton in downtown Springfield for the Illinois Division meeting of the Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV). I must say that Springfield really has a lot of stop lights. And...I don't think I missed a single one on the way over.

Twenty-four SCV members showed up and we did he business first. There are 159 members in Illinois, spread around six camps. The largest is my camp, Camp Douglas, named after the infamous Civil War prison in which over 6000 Confederates died in 18 months.

Incidentally, this was on the same day back in 1861 when Lincoln declared a blockade on all seceded Confederate states. Springfield is also the home of Abraham Lincoln.

When officers and Division positions were being filled, I raised my hand to ask exactly what the historian had to do. This became my job for the next year. Next time, remind me not to ask.

After lunch, the Lt. Cmdr. of the SCV, Ron Casteel, gave us an inspiring talk on the role the press, of which he retired from, in the problems facing southern heritage organizations such as ours face.

BAR HOPPING

Met up with Liz and Missy and took a walk around downtown Springfield to visit local establishments.

Met them at the Celtic Mist (an Irish place) by the hotel. Then walked over to the Alamo, a favorite watering hole for us. Usually they are not open Saturday afternoon, but had today because of a breast cancer march. Saw pictures of the march which featured many men hilariously trying to cope walking along in high heels. Now, That WAS REALLY FUNNY.

To Be Continued...

SCV and Springfield. Good Combination. --RoadDog

No comments: