Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Row, Row, Row Us Away- Rain Continues


Like they say, when it rains, it pours. And around here, we've certainly gotten a lot of the wet stuff the last several weeks. It seems like every other day it rains. Since I deejayed the wedding Saturday, which, unfortunately, was outside (fortunately under pavilions, but even then, it tended to put a damper on things), it has rained essentially straight through. If it wasn't raining, it was threatening to do so.

Fox Chicago said this morning that we can expect it to Saturday.

Boating in the rain isn't much fun, so that is out. Plus, the Fox River has been completely closed both above and below the dam. The Chain of Lakes itself is open to boating on a no-wake basis. This means that you are not to make any ripples as you go through the water.

All this rain hasn't stopped the cursed Japanese beetles though. Plus, the slugs are thriving on my hostas. This is ideal slug weather.

The grass is VERY green and thick, and I can almost hear it growing. I just cut it last Thursday when we finally got some dry weather. It was so high and thick, I had to cut it on the highest setting. It is going to be a real bear if I have to wait until Saturday to cut it.

Two good things, though: I haven't had to water any plants, and, the septic field lines are finally green again. Two years ago, we had an extended drought for the whole summer. I let my yard go and it had a very crunchy texture come September. When we finally got rain, it greened up right away. All, that is, except for the septic field lines which stayed dead. I worked on them all last summer and this, and you could still see the outlines. But, NOT any more.

I did learn that it we have another drought, to keep the area around the septic field watered.

I'm listening to The Surf, 94.9 FM, out of Myrtle Beach, SC, right now, and no rain is forecast. Talked with Mom Monday. She says they could use some of our rain as it has been very dry. The Fox Lake Waterway station in Fox Lake reports that we've had 7.67 inches so far this month, but I think we've had more in Spring Grove. Rockford, about 50 miles west reports 10.47 inches.

Brings Me Back to an old Favorite Song, "Rainmaker", by the Cryan' Shames. --RoadDog


No comments: