Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Aunt Dot


I was very saddened Thursday to find out from my mom that Aunt Dot died in Goldsboro, NC. She had been in failing health for the last several years. Giving of her time and efforts was a way of life with her.

She was 82 and had been very involved with the First Baptist Church of Goldsboro for much of her life, serving as a deacon, Sunday School director and many other jobs over the years.

For 24 years, she was with the Goldsboro Chamber of Commerce and then ten years as executive director of the Wayne County United Way.

She was originally married to my mother's brother, Uncle Billy, and then, after his death, Aunt Dot married Bo and was with him for nearly 30 years.

My condolences go out to Bo's family and my cousins Gayle and Graham.

Every time I visited Goldsboro, Aunt Dot and Uncle Billy, and later Uncle Bo, couldn't have been nicer to me and then Liz after I got married.

Every summer, my family would visit my grandparents in Goldsboro and Mount Olive. This was a much-looked forward to trip, but by the time I got to my teenage years, I would get a little bored. You know how teenagers are. Aunt Dot saw this and was kind enough to introduce me to Ronnie and Keith, two boys about my age. We had some great times together.

Then, she even went farther and let me use her 1967 Chevelle Malibu, quite a sporty car. Can you imagine a teenage boy driving a sporty car around? That was a pure joy, even if sometimes I would return it with very little gas in it. She still let me borrow it on future trips.

Aunt Dot will surely be missed. Don

No comments: