Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Monday, August 13, 2007

Saturday and Sunday- Deejaying, World's Best Bloody Mary, Making a Name for Ourselves, Band at Captain's


Saturday, I did some yard work. I managed to cut down the six golden barberry bushes which had become seriously overgrown. I only sustained a few scratches. Remind me never to buy anything again that has thorns. I haven't done so for a long time, but do have one rose bush and about ten other barberry bushes.

I deejayed at the American Legion pavilion overlooking Nippersink Lake in the Chain of Lakes all afternoon. It was for their annual picnic. We had plenty of great food, including ribs, as well as drinks, and lots of raffle prizes.

World's Greatest Bloody Mary

Yesterday, Liz and I went to Twin Lakes, Wisconsin, right over the border, about ten miles away. We first went to Main Street Tap, a real Northwoods type place, even though it is right at the Illinois/Wisconsin border. Lots of fishing stuff all over. Plus, the bartender makes probably the best Bloody Marys I've ever had. They come in a pint glass and are perfect for grazing. I mean, let me loose on a Bloody Mary bar, and I'll have a salad.

You get: a green onion, piece of celery, pickle speer, shrimp, cheese (Well, IT is Wisconsin), summer sausage, cherry tomato, pepper slice, cocktail onion, black olive, and green olive. Then, you get his perfect concoction, perfected after making thousands of them. And a mini-schooner chaser of beer. All this for THREE DOLLARS!!! Now, that's what I call a DEAL!!

NAME and BAND

Next, we stopped by Donovan's Reef, named after the movie of the same name starring John Wayne and Lee Marvin. Played NTN and we had four national rankings, which was seen by about 10,000 people in 400 places across the US and Canada. Unfortunately, watched both the Sox and Cubs lose.

Then, we went to a favorite Sunday afternoon place on Fox Lake, Captain's Quarters, and saw a great band, Twist of Fate, which had six members and played songs from the 60s to 80s. Nothing like sitting outside on a sunny day out on the Chain in the company of boaters, having an ice cold beverage, and partying with a good band.

Came home and enjoyed a so-so sunset from the deck.

Not a Bad Way to Spend a Weekend. --RoadDog

No comments: