Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Then There Were Three

That is the total of surviving veterans we have from the War to End All Wars, World War I, with Saturday's death of Britain's oldest man, Harry Patch, and the "Last Tommy," the last to have served in the infamous trenches.

I have been following the waning days of this "Noblest Generation," especially since my grandfathers both served in the war. My mother's father was in the army, but never went overseas, and my father's father was in the Merchant Marine. A great uncle served at the front lines as a lieutenant, came home, and drowned while saving a young boy from a flooded river.

My mother's father was also one of the first American Legion members in North Carolina.

It won't be long before we have to start the final countdown for our "Greatest Generation," the World War II veterans.

You can see more at http://cootershistorything.blogspot.com

They Won't be Forgotten.

No comments: