Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Scenes in a Bar: Generational Beer? and Anchovy Pizza

Last night, Liz and I were at Tommy's in Spring Grove, Illinois, enjoying their $1 domestic bottle special along with a bunch of other folks. (Earlier we had been at The Dill Pickle in the same village having 35 cent jumbo wings and $6 pitchers of beer.)


A GENERATIONAL THING?

I saw a man and his son sitting next to us having their bottles of beer (the buck bottles are Miller products, the "Big" beer here in the area). Was this a generational thing, but the father was drinking a bottle of Miller High Life. His son was drinking Miller's Genuine Draft.


MY FIRST ANCHOVY PIZZA

Later, the two men next to us on the other side of us split a pizza. When it arrived, it had a particular aroma. We heard them say that it was half anchovy. Then, there was a general discussion as to the relative merits of anchovy pizza.

I'd always heard it was REALLY bad tasting, but never had an anchovy pizza. After all, who in their right mind would order a whole one? What if you don't like it? I finally offered to pay for a piece, but the anchovy guy had finished eating with half of his half left and said I could have a piece for free.

GAME ON!!

I got my piece and it was every bit as salty and fishy tasting as I heard. OK, but I would never order a whole (or even half) pizza of it.

The guy then had the rest of the pizza put in a box and took it home. he said his son regularly scrounges through the refrigerator for food and would find the box and eat. He couldn't wait to see the expression on his son's face when he bit into it.

"Dad, What the Hell??!!" --RoadDog

2 comments:

Daddy Bob said...

So how did you like the anchovy pizza. Pretty bad wasn't it??

RoadDog said...

Let's just say it is not one of my favorite things to eat.