Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Pretty Good Vacation Thirty Years Ago-- Part 1

I've been going through my journal from 1982, thirty years ago.  I was just beginning to start my deejay career and was getting experience on the equipment in various bars around Round Lake Beach, Illinois, where we lived.

That summer, I took an extended vacation to Georgia and North Carolina, including two whole weeks at Carolina Beach.


JULY 22, 1982, Thursday

Mom, Dad, Andy (my nephew) and I left Dunwoody, Georgia, and drove I-20 to I-95.  I took over driving in Florence, SC, and drove to Fayetteville, where Dad took over again.  "Arrived at Goldsboro and Mama Gert (my grandmother) had Wilber's BBQ waiting for us.

Aunt Dot and Gayle came over.  Gayle had gone to Greensboro College two years ago and then to Mt. Olive College last year.  She reports that it is very hard.  Next year she will be going to UNC at Wilmington and working on a psychology degree.  Aunt Dot is connected with the United Way campaign.

After they left, Graham, my cousin, and family Vicki, Chris and Angie dropped by.  He wants me to meet someone near Turkey (NC) who is considered to be quite the expert on the Civil War.

Before they arrived, I went to the park (Herman Park) with Andy as he wanted to see the (miniature) train.  He was disappointed to find it wasn't operating, but I soon got him and about twenty other kids involved in playing on the artillery piece in the park.  They also now have goldfish in the fountain."

I am also writing about my Fort Fisher experiences on my Civil War Navy blog.

Sure Bringing Back Some memories.  --RoadDog

No comments: