Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

What Were You Doing August 5, 1972?-- Part 1

As in, 40 YEARS AGO!!  This past Sunday, Bob Stroud did his Part 3 of his annual look back to summers 40 years ago, which he started with the Summer of Love, 1967.  I really look forward to these Time Warp Rock and Roll Rooys Shows every year and try to make sure I'm at home so I can record them (on cassette tapes for those of you who remember those).

Part 4 will be September 2nd and will be  streaming on the Drive.  www.wdrv.com.

Back then, I was still living at the trailer outside of Athens, Georgia, where I was going to 4th quarter (Summer School) at UGA so I could get the credits I needed to transfer back to good old NIU so I could graduate in June of '73.  I was driving the "Ramblin' Wreck," the puke green '63 Rambler station wagon which used a quart of oil every 50-100 miles.

These were songs playing on the radio and in your collections back then, so, let's take a trip back, "Way back!" as Jimmy Castor and His Bunch would say.  Remember "Troglodyte" and Bertha?

OUT OF SPACE--  BILLY PRESTON-- The last time we convened (July 1) it was the #1 song in town (Chicago).  We will find out the new #1 in a little less than three hours.
ROCKET MAN--  ELTON JOHN--  From the #1 album in town, Honky Chateau.

GUITAR MAN--  BREAD--  Another man in your radio; David Gates and the band.
SATURDAY IN THE PARK--  CHICAGO--  Those Chicago horns making its debut on local charts from the album Chicago 5.

STILL IN LOVE WITH YOU--  AL GREEN--  Those Memphis horns.  I so do love the way producer Willie Mitchell had that snare drum right up front in those great Al Green songs in the 70s.

And. Lots More to Come.  --RoadDog


A FUNNY HEADLINE:  Enraged Cow Injures Farmer With Ax

No comments: