Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Sorry to Hear About the Death of Merle Haggard

Country legend Merle Haggard died today at age 79.  It was his birthday.  He had been suffering from cancer for many years and looking very bad the last several times I saw him.

I was listening to Classic Country WERF in Galax Country over the internet when I heard Buford Kegley make the announcement.

Merle Haggard was one of my favorite country singers and a big reason I got into country music in the mid 1970s.  You want country, HE was country.  None of that Bro stuff.  His songs could hurt you right down to your soul.  And, then there was his "Okie from Muskogee" which I first heard while in college.

I had seen it was his birthday today on the Ye Olde Disc Jockey's Almanac site by Bob Dearborn.  I also saw that this was the anniversary of the Capitol records Building in Hollywood.  Merle Haggard recorded for Capitol Records.

Puttin' Those Hippies in Their Place.

No comments: