Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Back to Where You Were October 4, 1968?

Of course, time limitations do not allow Bob Stroud to play all the songs from that date.

Here are some others:

LITTLE GREEN APPLES-- O.C. SMITH-- He later sang Beach Music and had a big hit with "Brenda."
HARPER VALLEY PTA-- JEANNIE C. RILEY-- The person responsible for bringing this Tom T. Hall song to us, producer Shelby Singleton died October 7th. He was responsible for lots of artists and familiar songs. I'll have a write-up on him on the Dead Page in my history blog http://cootershistorything.blogspot.com

GIRL WATCHER-- OKAYSIONS-- True North Carolina one-hit wonders. Somewhere I heard they eventually became the Fabulous Kays, one of the best southeastern show bands, but I'm not sure.
MY SPECIAL ANGEL-- VOGUES-- Probably too schmaltzy for Bob

OVER YOU-- GARY PUCKETT & THE UNION GAP-- Too sweet for Bob and me.
SLIP AWAY-- CLARENCE CARTER-- When he is not "Strokin'"

SAY IT LOUD- I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD-- JAMES BROWN-- Black Power!!!
PEOPLE GOT TO BE FREE-- RASCALS-- This would have been a good one. The last two summed up the climate in those days.

SUZIE-Q-- CCR-- Loved the song in "Apocalypse Now."
1,2,3 RED LIGHT-- 1910 FRUITGUM COMPANY-- OK, Bubble Gum, but I like it.

From Dave McAleer's "The Book of Hit Singles: Top 20 Charts from 1954 to the Present Day." It featured not only the US Top 20 by month, but also the UK Top Twenty.

Next, the UK Charts. --RoadDog

No comments: