Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

So, Who Were Rare Earth and Crabby Appleton?

These two bands had hits on October 18, 1970. Just who were they? I've heard of both and even have a Rare Earth GH album, but, I don't know that much about them. So I did a Wiki search, always a great place to go for fast facts.

RARE EARTH

Not only affiliated with Motown's Rare Earth label, but actually gave their name to it. They were hot from 1970-1972. Formed in 1960 as the Skyliners and later changed their name to rare Earth. Signed with Motown in 1969 when Motown decided to expand to white acts. Two of their biggest hits were with covers of Motown's Temptations songs "(I Know) I'm Losing You" and "Get Ready." Also had hits with "I Just Want to Celebrate" and "Hey, Big Brother" both in 1971.

Like I said, Blue-Eyed Soul.


CRABBY APPLETON

Most members came from the LA band Stonehenge. Opened for a lot of big name bands back then on the success of their one really big hit, "Go Back." They've also been on a lot of '70s compilations. Michael Fennelly of New Jersey was the lead singer, guitarist and songwriter.

So, That's Who Those Guys Are. --RoadDog

No comments: