Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Where Were You October 4, 1968?-- Part 1

As is his current custom, Bob Stroud went on a Time Warp at the beginning of the month, this time back to the date in 1968 and then skipped ahead five years to 1973.

On October 4, 1968, I was a Senior at Palatine (technically Township) High School in Palatine, Illinois, and thoroughly enjoying my year as Top Dog. I was sports editor of the school newspaper, the Cutlass, as well as the yearbook. I did not get along too well with the advisor. She especially disliked me after I "hired" buddies Jerry and Kevin to fill out the newspaper sports staff. They'd had a run-in with her junior year and had been "fired forever." Both Kevin and Jerry went on to careers in journalism.

I had "assigned" myself the football beat and we had the best year since 1965, finishing 7-2, with just losses to Arlington and Wheeling. We had been so bad the previous two years, we played in a lot of homecomings and messed them up for the respective schools. AND, even better, we BEAT arch rival Fremd.

Fremd was even more rivalry, because our class had gone there freshman year 1965-1966, so we had lots of friends from that school. That is, friends unless we played them.

I was going steady with Liz, who I ended up marrying and am still married to her. She had my class ring and ID bracelet, and I wore her ring.

Music Coming Up Next. --RoadDog

No comments: