Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Friday, October 25, 2013

Beach Music Top Ten: 1965-- Part 1


From Fessa John Hook's www.beachshag.com site. And he has a great book with all the Beach Charts and every Beach song ever played. Check it out and/or listen to his shows at the site.

This was prime music-listening time for me after the Beatles had awakened me to pop music. I had noticed, however, that some of the songs I would hear while visiting family in North Carolina were considerably different from what was playing on Chicago's WLS and WCFL.

This list has some of those. (* Means a song not heard on Chicago radio):

H.M.--Honorable Mention *USE YOUR HEAD-- Mary Wells,
#10. *SILLY LITTLE GIRL-- Tams,
H.M.-- *OO-WEE BABY I LOVE YOU-- Fred Hughes

#9. MAY I-- Maurice Williams & Zodiacs (We finally got this song in 1969 with Bill Deal & the Rhondells)
H.M. *UP ON THE ROOF (JUST FOR THE BIRDS)-- Embers (We had an "Up on the Roof" by the Drifters and later by the Cryan' Shames, but I'm not sure this is the same one.)

#8. I CAN'T HELP MYSELF-- Four Tops
H.M. PAPA'S GOT A BRAND NEW BAG-- James Brown

All That New Carolina Music. --RoadDog

No comments: