Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Who Were the Pyramids Back in 1964?-- Part 1

From You Tube, Top Pop Singles. //// Yesterday, when I had the WLS Chicago radio Top Ten songs from Feb. 21, 1964, I had a group called the Pyramids at #4 with their song "Penetration." Just who were these guys getting blindsided by Beatlemania? I had never heard of them. As it turned out, this was their only top 40 in Chicago and their only top 20 in the country, peaking at #18 on Billboard. //// From Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles: "It debuted Feb. 1 and was on the charts ten weeks and released on Best Records #13002. Surf band from Long Beach, California: Skip Mercer, Willie Glover, Steve Leonard, Ron McMullen and Tom Pittman. Performed with shaved heads. Appeared in the movie "Bikini Beach." //// Next, I had to hear the song. I went to You Tube (and was only there for ten minutes, probably a new record for me.) The video showed them with shaved heads (the direct opposite of the Beatles, perhaps in protest?) as that one of the members was black (I didn't know there were any black musicians in Surf Rock). They also had the video of them performing in the movie "Bikini Beach." //// More Than You Ever Thought You'd Know About the Pyramids. --RoadDog

No comments: