Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Today Is Record Store Day!!!

I am glad I was listening to Chicago's WXRT, 93.1 FM today as this date had completely slipped by me.  I knew it was Record Store Day, but had forgotten.  They reminded me.  Thanks, guys.

This is the day to go back into the past, go back to my time, when I used to love to go to mom and pop record stores, or even the big ones, and flip through those vinyl albums.  I could flip through them for hours, or until Liz got bored.  But, I had to go to clothing stores with her so this was a kind of payback.

I have gone to Record Store Day most years.  My local mom and pop record store is in McHenry, Illinois, and called The Vinyl Frontier.  I always felt that was a good name for a record store.  They get huge crowds for this day and open at 8 instead of the usual noon.  I tell you, it does my old soul good to see young people flipping through the albums and BUYING them in this digital download age.

I used to have a favorite record store in Crystal Lake, Illinois, where I'm heading in an hour for the McHenry County Civil War Round Table discussion group's meeting at Panera Bread at 10 a.m., about the month of April 1865, a really momentous month in U.S. history.  That record store was called Full Cyrkle Records.

I had another favorite one in DeKalb, Illinois, called Record Revolution and one in Goldsboro N.C., called The Record Rack.

So, I will stop at The Vinyl Frontier on my way to Crystal Lake.

There is a website and you can find record stores near you.  Just search Record Store Day.

WXRT has had many commercials about Record Day and starting at noon to midnight today, in homor of it, will only play vinyl records.  It streams.

Give Me That Vinyl.  --  RoadDog

No comments: