Listen to this man. Seven years of college, you know. Trying to reason with 2020 and, now, 2022.

Saturday, November 10, 2007

I Was a Marine For a Short Time --Part 1


I was a Marine for a very, very short time.

I didn't think the Vietnam War would EVER end. It really got hot while I was in junior high school and went all the way through my high school years and college.

The first year they had the draft lottery, I wasn't eligible, and I had the number 31. I was happy with that as I figured the next year, when it would count, I'd surely get a higher number.

Wrong!!! The year it counted, I was number 22. I was getting an all-expense paid "vacation" to Vietnam compliments of Uncle Sam. That is, I'd go after college. I had always intended to go to college anyway, something you had to do if you wanted to be a teacher. But , that war just WASN'T going to end. And after four years, I would be eligible for the draft, and with a 22, I was gone.

Stay Tuned. --RoadDog

No comments: